Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Eiko's Blue Boy Quilt

My customer Eiko brought me 3 quilts to complete for her, including the binding, which are to be gifts to her grandchildren.  This Blue quilt was the first of the trio that was completed.
This top was a challenge due to the fact that there was a lot of excess fabric in the blocks.
You can see it better in this picture.  The seams between the blocks were tight but the interior of the blocks had a lot of excess fabric to deal with.
Thankfully, with the help of spray starch, a lot of patience (and I'll admit - a little praying), I was able to tame the fullness pretty well.
I was pleased with my initial impression of the results when I took it off the frame but until I trimmed and bound it, the true picture couldn't be determined.
This side view certainly looked promising.  
It lays relatively flat and so I think I succeeded!
Eiko chose the Popcorn panto for this quilt and it really worked well to soften the edges of the angular blocks plus had enough stitching to help flatten the full areas.
The backing she provided was a tone on tone medium tan fabric that proved to be a good showcase for the quilting plus I had enough excess to also use it as the binding fabric.
I think my customer will be pleasantly surprise of how nicely it turned out and the eventual recipient will cherish this gift of love from his grandmother.
The other 2 quilts I completed for Eiko will be in a couple of upcoming posts.  Stay tuned.

3 of you added your own colorful comments:

  1. You did a great job of controlling that excess fabric. It looks so nice quilted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The "adventure" of stitching on clients' quilts are so varied! You managed brilliantly and the finish is wonderful. I'm sure she will be pleased (as will be the recipient!).

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading each and every comment that you share. And isn't that what it is all about....sharing.