Monday, August 8, 2016

More Halloween City Sampler blocks

My graphics designer is working on the cover for my patterns and I'm waiting for the fabric to come out that I want to use for the remake of my Merry Jingle quilt.  So in the meantime I'm working on a few other things, one of them being my Halloween Tula Pink City Sampler blocks.  It was fun to get back to making these and coming across the #100blocksin100days in Instagram didn't hurt either to get me motivated.  Here are the blocks that I've completed recently.

This is #76 and it completed the first 5 blocks from Chapter 5 Squares.
Then I was onto the last chapter, the Haiku blocks. This is #86.
I used a fabric that I recently purchased (the off white) for block #87.
I like the way block #88 turned out.
For block #89 I was finally able to use one of the fabrics that has bigger motifs.
Block #90 was perfect for featuring the flying witch fabric.
Then it was back to Chapter 1 Crosses.  I will admit that I'm glad I'm making 5 blocks from each chapter and then moving onto the next as it has really helped to keep me from getting bored.  This is block #6. 
Block #7 is next.
I decided to use all spider fabrics for block #8.
Block #9 was another one that was good for a larger motif fabric.
And block #10 finished out this batch from Chapter 1. 
Chapter 2 is all about Rectangles so here is my version of block #21.
I decided to use the hearse fabric in block #22.  Isn't it fun?
Here are all 37 of my blocks so far.  Having them all visible on the wall helps me to better make sure I don't make too many of any one color plus it is fun to look at them all together.  I have a little room down on the right of my project bookshelf but after that I'm going to have to clear off the left side of my design wall.
I don't know how much time I'll be able to work on these in the coming week but I'm going to try to sneak in a few blocks every now and then.  Are you working on a Tula Pink City Sampler too?  Check out the hashtag #100blocksin100days and share your blocks too.

Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Twelve Windows - a quilt finish

Back in March my friend Katie of Karma Willow Designs put this orphan quilt top up for "adoption" as part of the Quilty Orphan Adoption hosted each year by Cynthia of Quilting is more fun than Housework.  It's a great idea for passing on quilty items that you aren't in love with any more.  I commented that if Katie sent it to me I'd quilt it up and send it onto a charity group.
I'm happy to say that Katie's simple quilt top has turned into this.  I'm calling this one

Twelve Windows
I think the bright colors and bold patterns of the fabrics will be absolutely perfect for a teen girl.
I was able to get it on the frame in mid May and Juno obviously thought he needed to keep a close eye on my quilting to make sure I was doing a good job.
He even performed a snuggibility test after it was done and off the frame.
Although this quilt top would have been great for a bunch of custom quilting, creating lots of fun designs in each block and in the sashing, I just didn't have the time to devote to doing that so a edge to edge it received. I used the Whirlygig panto and used a pale green thread to blend the best on the front.
Katie was very generous in that she also sent a pieced backing along and I used a thread that blended with the bigger purple section.  I think a teen will like the way it shows on the green side.
It sat waiting for the binding to be completed for a while but I'm happy that it is now done.  Some light Pink leftover fabric from another project was the best choice for that.
The label has now been attached, it will get a wash to make it all soft and crinkly and then it will be ready to send off for some young girl to snuggle under.
Thank you Katie for sending it.  I think that together we will make some young teen very happy.