Saturday, May 31, 2014

What we've been up to lately

Life in the spring always seems to get so busy. It is a good thing though.The kidlets have been spending as much time outside as possible, between the days with rain of course. We recently received this hand-me-down kiddo four wheeler (made by Fisher Price) from my sister and after it got a new battery, my two were off to race up and down our driveway.
They are actually good about taking turns with it and thankfully it doesn't go very fast.
The one who isn't on the four wheeler is driving this fancy schmancy vehicle, again another hand-me-down though this one came from one of hub's coworkers a few years ago. There is no way in the world we'd buy these things ourselves, they cost too much darn money.
The kiddos love them and we are grateful for the hand-me-downs and once my kidlet outgrow them, we'll hand them down to another family.
Monday we had a bit of excitement here. You of the training wheels on Sunshine's bike kept falling off and it did it yet again while she was riding in the driveway as I was getting dinner ready. As the story goes, Daddy asked her if she wanted to try to ride without the training wheels and as is typical with my fearless girls, she quickly agreed. She was so excited when she came and got me to come and see what she can now do.
Either Uncle Tom or Daddy stayed close by and she isn't too steady yet, but as the day wore on she got better and better. Having the seat lowered so that she could put her feet on the ground easier when she wants to stop definitely helped. I fully expected this event to happen sometime this summer, especially since Jammer just took off a few weeks ago sans training wheels and if nothing else, my Sunshine is very competitive, I just didn't expect it to happen this early.

On the quilting front, I was able to finish all of the EMS/Fire quilt blocks on Sunday.
Here is sneak peak at the start of the layout. While she was here for dinner, I got my friend Alana to help me tweak the block placement, ready to be sewn into rows.
My work schedule got switched up a bit this week and I was able to sew the rows together on Thursday afternoon and the borders when on yesterday.
I even completed piecing the backing and making the binding for this quilt so it is now all ready to be quilted and finished. This quilt is going to be raffled off at the New York State Fire Chief's show in a couple of weeks and the proceeds will benefit the Susan G Komen Race for the Cure. 

I even got some time last night to sew the binding on the front of the Purple Hand2Help quilt. The Quilt Challenge is coming to an end and I need to get these finished up quick. Thankfully this is a baby quilt so the hand sewing will go quick.
On tap for this weekend, besides dealing withe usual laundry pile, is quilting the other 2 Hands2Help Charity Quilt Challenge quilts and get them bound. Penelope hasn't been playing nice again so I'm going to have to quilt these on my domestic machine. 

The weather here expects it to be a mix of sun and rain so we'll be in and out accordingly. At least I've got plenty to keep me busy when we are stuck inside dodging the storms.

4 of you added your own colorful comments: